Well here we go. Let's breakdown the Preakness Stakes ! It's not too tough and looks like a Derby replay:
1. AMERICAN PHAROAH- The morning after the Derby, Bob Baffert was really relieved at his Churchill barn. He knew his colt was brilliant and he knew he had jumped a big hurdle. Pharoah got tested, dug in and won it. His Preakness post isn't that great, but looks like his talent will get him home first again.
2. Dortmund- He could certainly bounce back from his only defeat in Louisville. Did his colic episode hurt his chances in the Derby? It could have. He's game and should hit the board.
3. Mr. Z- Gotta give him credit... He always tries hard. But his 12 race losing streak just won't cut it vs. this bunch.
4. Danzig Moon- Ran a decent Kentucky Derby, and he could get a decent pace to run against. Just seems a cut below
5. Tale of Verve- His camp picked a heck of a time to run in his very first stakes race. A victory in Baltimore would be a Mine That Bird kind of shocker.
6. Bodhisattva- One for one at Pimlico but he's never faced a group this tough.
7. Divining Rod- He's okay...but let's face it, he wasn't good enough to run for the roses.
8. Firing Line- He's the one Pharoah has to worry about. Gary Stevens might end up with a huge edge breaking from the outside post. They should get a really good trip.
I say two jewels for Pharoah, Firing Line second, Dortmund third. Boring pick but it is what it is.