- Healthy eating can be challenging with our busy schedules and the demands on our lives. But it is not impossible. With a little planning ahead, you can find some quick, easy recipes that will provide healthy, nutritional meals for you and your family.
- The key to eating healthy is to eat a lot of vegetables, fruits and lean meats. Keep yourself away from sugars and wheat products as much as possible and eat whole, organic foods primarily. One recipe I found that is not only healthy, but scrumptious is Barley Risotto with Ham and Mushrooms. It can be eaten as a meal by itself.
- I personally like to alter my recipes a bit. Try adding in some of your favorite vegetables like broccoli or carrots. If you don't like to eat pork, substitute chicken for the ham.
- Barley Risotto With Ham and Mushrooms
- Total Time: 40 min
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium shallots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced ham steak
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the shallots and cook until just soft, about 2 minutes. Add the barley and fennel seeds (if using), 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, until the barley is lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, rosemary and wine and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are soft and the wine is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer; cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the barley is tender and almost all of the liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the ham, parmesan and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: Calories 498; Fat 16 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 62 mg; Sodium 565 mg; Carbohydrate 64 g; Fiber 13 g; Protein 18 g
SERVES: 4 (slightly differs from published analysis); Calories: 439; Total Fat: 18 grams; Saturated Fat: 9.5 grams; Protein: 24 grams; Total carbohydrates: 48 grams; Sugar: 2 grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 64 milligrams; Sodium: 342 milligrams
©Television Food Network G.P.
All Rights Reserved.